Breaking News Other Sports Top news

Novak Djokovic health worry after reaching Paris Masters third round

Novak Djokovic has revealed he is struggling with illness after beating Corentin Moutet at the Paris Masters.

The top seed was sluggish in the first set and was broken by Moutet after a volley into the net.

Moutet failed to take two set points and then served for it at 5-4 but produced an error-strewn game and was broke

It proved costly because it allowed Djokovic rediscover himself and he won the set in a tiebreak 7-2.

In the second set, Djokovic broke Moutet twice and although the French player gained one of the breaks back, it was not enough as the world Not served out the match comfortably.

Djokovic will now face Britain’s Kyle Edmund on Thursday and was just happy to get through.

“I didn’t feel health-wise 100 per cent in the last couple of days, but it is what it is,” Djokovic said.

“It’s not the first time I didn’t play at a really high level. Lots of errors, especially in the first set.

Corentin Moutet

Corentin Moutet was unable to stop Novak Djokovic (Image: GETTY)

“First time against a young player who is talented, very quick. Returns a lot of balls back that usually other guys wouldn’t get, he gets it.

“And he was pumped, and I respect his fighting spirit.

“It was a good match in the end, and I found a way to win, which in [these] circumstances when you’re not feeling your best, is important.”

Moutet missed a big opportunity by failing to serve out the first set and not taking advantage of an out-of-form Djokovic.

ALL SPORTS Breaking News Other Sports Top news

Djokovic Australian Open fears grow after Doha withdrawal

Novak Djokovic has withdrawn from the Qatar Open due to an elbow injury to cast further doubt over his chances of playing at the Australian Open.

A day after pulling out of an exhibition event in Abu Dhabi, the Serbian announced he would skip the ATP 250 event he has won for the past two years in Doha.

Djokovic, 30, has been sidelined since Wimbledon due to the elbow issue, which threatens his participation at the first grand slam of 2018 in Melbourne beginning January 15.

“Unfortunately, the situation with the elbow has not changed for better since yesterday. I still feel the pain,” the 12-time grand slam champion and world number 12 said in a statement.

“Therefore, I will have to withdraw from ATP tournament in Doha, that has been voted the best 250 tournament in 2017.

“I am sorry that I will not be able to play in front of my fans here. I have great memories of this tournament and the matches I played, like the final against Andy [Murray] from last year. The atmosphere at the stadium is always wonderful, the organisation is on the highest level, and I will surely miss it a lot.

“However, after the thorough consultations with the medical team, we decided to keep up with the therapies and elbow treatments.

“Only when I’m 100 per cent ready to play, I will be able to come back. I hope it will be soon. I want to thank everyone for patience and understanding.”

ALL SPORTS Breaking News Tennis Top news

Novak Djokovic to miss rest of season with elbow injury

Novak Djokovic announced Wednesday he will miss the rest of the 2017 season to recover from a right elbow injury.

The Serbian, a 12-time Grand Slam champion and ranked No. 4 in the world, admitted after he was forced to retire during his Wimbledon quarterfinal loss two weeks ago that he had been feeling pain in his elbow for the past 18 months.

Djokovic, 30, posted a video statement on Facebook and his website shortly before a news conference at which he explained his decision in more detail.

“I’ve made a decision to not play any competitions or tournaments for the rest of the 2017 season,” Djokovic said in the Facebook Live broadcast. “It’s a decision that had to be made.

“My elbow is hurt due to excessive playing, and it troubles me constantly when serving, and now when hitting my forehand as well. Unfortunately, such injuries are often encountered in a professional sport, and I am very proud of the fact that I have been free from serious injuries during all these years.

“All the doctors I’ve consulted, and all the specialists I have visited, in Serbia and all over the world, have agreed that this injury requires rest. A prolonged break from the sport is inevitable. I’ll do whatever it takes to recover. I will use the upcoming period to strengthen my body and also to improve certain tennis elements that I have not been able to work on over the past years, due to a demanding schedule. Five months may seem long from this point, but I’m sure they will pass quickly because there is so much I want to do.

“Another important moment is coming, we will become parents for a second time. My wife, Jelena, and I are expecting our second child, and we are preparing to welcome a new family member. These are things that fill me with greatest happiness and delight. I’m confident I will be ready for start of the new season.”

Djokovic ends 2017 with a 32-8 match record, including two ATP World Tour titles at the Qatar ExxonMobil Open in January and the Aegon International last month. He has won 68 career titles for seventh on the all-time titles leaders’ list.

Djokovic will miss the U.S. Open that gets underway Aug. 28, ending his streak of participating in 51 consecutive Grand Slam tournaments starting with the 2005 Australian Open. He won the U.S. Open in 2011 and 2015.

“I have been dragging this injury for the past 18 months and it has escalated in the last month or two,” Djokovic told reporters at the news conference. “I had to make a radical decision. It was a difficult one but I had no choice and will now have time to heal my body

“The remarkable series has come to an end. My body has its limits, and I have to respect that and be grateful for all that I have achieved so far.”

Djokovic struggled since winning the 2016 French Open to complete a career Grand Slam. He said Andre Agassi, who recently began working with the former No. 1 on a part-time basis, will be his coach when he returns to the tour next year.

Djokovic said he plans to start with a tune-up tournament ahead of the Australian Open in January.

“I will definitely play in the first week of next season,” Djokovic said. “I have enough time to recover as the first tournament of 2018 is six months away.”

(File photo by Hugo Philpott/UPI)